Thursday, April 23, 2009

Love Vintage

Last weekend I ventured to Canterbury with my best vintage shopping buddy to visit the Sydney Vintage Clothing, Jewellery & Textiles Show. Despite all my good intentions to keep expenditure to a minimum, the minute I spied the amazing amazingness that is this Lilli Ann suit jacket, I was hooked, hefty price tag be damned.

The on-trend pronounced shoulders drew me in, the flawless silk/wool blend fabric kept me interested but it was those beyond fabulous pleated bell sleeves that had me eagerly handing over my credit card like a junkie jonesing for a fix.

Here's a much better picture of those scrumpdiddlyumpious sleeves courtesy of Lulu's Vintage (wonder what happened to my rhinestone buckles?!)
I was told by the vendor that the suit dated to the 1930's/40's but Couture Allure, which has this great scan of the suit as originally advertised (looks like I bought a vintage campaign piece!), dates the suit to 1955. The vendor also told me that Coco Chanel used to contribute designs for the Lilli Ann label during this period, and while this may have been an erroneous (and totally unnecessary) sales pitch which I have not as yet been able to corroborate, Lady Vintage alleges that none other than Cristobal Balenciaga anonymously contributed designs to the Lilli Ann label post-WW2.
Although the prospect of this suit being ghost-designed by either Chanel or Balenciaga is delicious, it is a simply amazing piece in any case and definitely a worthy addition to my collection. I also bought a gorgeous vintage kimono which was promptly destroyed by my cleaner in an unfortunate handwashing incident – note to self: like gremlins, vintage kimonos must be kept away from water.

No comments: